To mark the death of Queen Elizabeth II, there will be a one-off public holiday on Monday, 26 September. What do business owners need to know about this unexpected day off?
Here are the most important points:
- Shop trading restrictions will not apply. (These apply on Christmas Day, Good Friday and ANZAC Day.)
- Employees are entitled to have the day off and be paid leave if they normally work that day.
- The employee can agree to work on the day.
- Employees who work must be paid at least time-and-a-half.
- Employees who work must also get a paid day off later (a day in lieu).
Calculating holiday and leave pay
Correctly complying with employment standards around holiday and leave pay can be a bit confusing. We are here to help as we often end up scratching our heads as it’s not always clear. Give us a call, drop us an email or text us – we’re here to help!